Accordion File Box

You all know I love a fun new project with a good tutorial! I came across this one by Silvia yesterday. It's an accoridon file box that she keeps stamped images in. Do you ever stamp out several images just to keep on hand? Or do trades with your stamping friends? Well this is a great way to store them!

Here's my accordion file box:
This project is GREAT for using the Scor-Pal! I used patterned and solid cardstocks from the Cha Cha Soar With It Collection by The Angel Company. The Bazzill Bitty Blossoms, Palette L'Amore Red ink, and Crystal Brads can also be purchased through TAC.

Here's a view of the back. I kind of messed up the bottom right corner.

And here's an open view. I used a magnetic snap for the closure. Getting these dividers in was tricky. I tried it a couple different ways and finally "got-er-done" but I didn't enjoy it, LOL! The key is to adhere them to the accordion folds BEFORE you glue the last fold to the inside back of the box. Does that make sense? I don't have the dividers indexed yet but eventually I will.

I changed some of the directions from the way Silvia made her file box. She has great step by step pictures on her blog but these are the measurements that worked for me:

1- cardstock 6” x 12” (I used red Bazzill)
1- cardstock 6” x 8” (I used red Bazzill)
1- sheet of designer paper (I used Cha Cha SWIC)
2- sheets of cardstock measuring 4” x 8” (I used a green Bazzill)
7- sheets of cardstock measuring 6 x 3 5/8 (I used plain white)
strong adhesive
Stamps and embellishments
Magnetic closure (or velcro but magnets are easier to open)

1. Score the 6” x 12” piece of cardstock at 4” and again at 8”.

2. Score the 6” x 8” cardstock at 1” and 5”. You can now adhere the small 1” section to the back of the other cardstock...so that it forms one long piece measuring 6” x 19”.

3. Score both of your 4” x 8”'s at every half inch interval and accordion fold them.

4. Adhere the first fold of each accordion to the inside of what will be the front of the box.

5. Now add the dividers to each "valley" of the accordion sides until you run out of valleys. The back of the last fold will now be adhered to the inside back of the box.

6. Add magnetic closure to the inside of the lid flap and the front of the box.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Stampinsilvia said...

Super cute! I love your longer front flap! Thanks for the link at the stamp shack! Have a super day!

Kazza said...

What a great idea. Lovely box :O)

Angela K said...

How clever! I love it!!

Just Me said...

Love the box! Thank you for sharing the instructions!!

made by fifi said...

brill box - nice to make something useful xx

Post a Comment